Sunday, 9 November 2014

The work continues.......




After meeting the fibreglass man last week one of the jobs he suggested was to thoroughly clean the decks and cockpit with a Jet Washer and identify all areas where the Gel coat needs repairing.

Luckily the weather was mostly dry and I managed to achieve quite good results as you can see in the before and after photos.









Once I was satisfied it was clean enough I went round on my knees to examine the gelcoat and circled every part that I felt needed repairing with a thick black marker pen, it seemed somewhat alien drawing all over a boat but does easily identify where the work is.





















Also I had thought long and hard about keeping the Teak seating slats in the cockpit and decided that I would remove them for inspection and if the majority of them were in reasonable condition then I would keep them as they are a nice original feature.






It became clear as I started to remove the slats nearly all of them had developed some rot and to coin a phrase were 'Beyond economical repair'.










I decided that I would remove all the slats and throw them but not before reclaiming some of the stainless steel fittings and screws, as some will know its items like this that can be quite expensive when working on a boat project.

So although I couldn't restore the original cockpit tops I have increased my stainless collection!






I was also very lucky to have been able to enlist the help of my eldest daughter who made herself busy working inside on cleaning all of the cupboards and lockers, not a job I relish but for some strange reason she loves cleaning, so I am sure I can keep her busy for a while.........

I haven't forgotten the hull and work on this will resume once my new sander arrives, my current one works well but gets very heavy after a short while so I spent some time researching and found what I think is the best model for the job that doesn't cost a fortune.

Only problem is that it appears to be everybody's choice as there doesn't seem to be one available in the UK right now.

I am told by the distributor that they should have them by the end of the month so I am guessing they're on their way on a container ship from China.








  

No comments:

Post a Comment