Sunday, 18 January 2015

What will be found in the deep dark bowels of the ship......




Time for another update folks, so the weather has had a devastating affect on the tarpaulin, even after removing the framework the storm from last weekend ripped the sheeting in two, so I have given up on that idea until the weather improves and will continue to concentrate efforts inside the boat.



After some previous attempts of getting the angles right and making  a whole load of mess I managed to get the battery locker finished and was quite pleased with the result.


I used 18mm exterior ply and obviously forgot to measure twice and cut once!

Luckily I had plenty of wood so managed to get it right eventually.




This week I finished it off with a couple of coats of International Danboline bilge paint and is now ready to take the battery holders, if I have done my sums correctly it should  take 2 x 125ah deep cycle batteries which will be used for domestic use.






Another job I wanted to get done was to clean the main bilge area so that it can be painted and take a new automatic bilge pump, although the smell was not too bad it was still very dirty and had not been cleaned for a long time.





The problem was emptying the bilge as the automatic pump was not working as there is no 12 volt power yet, and the Whale manual pump just wouldn't lift any water.

I decided to investigate where the problem was and dismantled the old manual pump.


As with most pumps they are of simple design and can easily be striped down, although didn't expect this much corrosion.








I cleaned the housing with WD40, wire wool and sand paper, then took the two valves out and cleaned them off in the hope they would seal properly once reinstalled.





It was all to no avail as once I had put it all back together it still would not produce enough pressure to lift any water.
I made a quick visit to the local chandlery store to see what was available and found that for £25 I could buy a service kit for the pump which included all the essentials needed.
On the other hand I could buy a complete replacement pump for £50, I thought about it for a while and decided that there were something's I could save money, and others where it just wasn't worth it.
Having a reliable pump is a must, to get you out of trouble if you are ever unfortunate enough to get water inside the boat.
So I decided to bite the bullet and play safe, after 15 minutes the new pump was installed and ready to go in to action!




The water it pulled up from the bowels of the ship was disgusting, but still another job done as I slowly tick them off the list.





Once I have finished cleaning the main bilge, and give it a good painting, I have loads of goodies on order for the 240v shore power system which I will begin fitting next.....














No comments:

Post a Comment