Thursday, 24 December 2015

Internal Refurbishment continues......


I arrived at the boat yard yesterday to be greeted by a gloriously sunny sky and a mild 13 degrees!
I stopped off at Pirates Cave on the way to buy a tin of white Toplac which I am planning to paint the ceilings with, I also bought a tin of International's Woodskin. 
My intention was to use this on the washboard as well as external brightwork, however I was interested to see what the finish was like as I wondered if it could be used internally.
The first job was to apply a coat to the washboard and see how it went on and what the finish was like.


As you can see in the video it was easy enough to apply and didn't require all the work normally associated with varnishing including sanding between coats.

This is how the board looked before:


And this was the finish after two coats:


I left the board outside to dry in the sunshine while I finished off stripping the saloon of the last curtain tracks and brass coat hooks, once finished I started work removing the carpet and storing away just in case it is needed again.


For some reason I found areas of the floor covered with a lino type material which was glued to the timber boards, after trying to pull up by hand I decided to use the electric scraper which made short work of the job




After completing that task I started up the air compressor and begun sanding all of the GRP ceiling lining which which extends from the main saloon into the pilot berth and forward cabin. 
I decided to separate the forward cabin and heads compartment in terms of refurbishment so will complete these once the other areas are finished.


After a couple of hours I had finished all of the sanding and although caused a big mess I was pleased with the result.



The next job was to start filling the many holes that had accumulated over 40 odd years of previous owners drilling and screwing.
I used plastic padding GRP filler as its easy to sand and as it is being painted I wouldn't need the smooth finish of a gel coat filler.




All in all I felt it was a good days work, next will be to sand the filler once dried, then start sanding all of the internal woodwork.

I still haven't decided which varnish to go for, the Woodskin is easy to apply and there are no problems over coating when needed and is ideal for externals,  there is so much written about different products it is hard to choose.......will have to get my thinking cap on.

Well its that time of year again so will wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year wherever you might be!

















No comments:

Post a Comment