Sunday, 6 December 2015

There be treasure in that there ship......




Again it has been a while since my last post mainly due to lots of stuff to do at home, there has been some updates worthy of mention.
Firstly the collapse of the shelter that I had erected a couple of weeks ago.....I new the remnants of Storm Barney passing through would be a test, but the 70mph winds were just too much for the poly pipe and tarpaulin.


On arrival at the boat I could see that the pipe had kinked in several places and some of the joins had snapped, the tarpaulin had held up so could be used again if needed.
I decided that I would give up on the idea of working on the deck over the winter and instead turn my attention to the interior. I spent the morning removing the shelter, cutting up the long sections of pipe and folding away the tarpaulin.
In a way I am pleased that I found out sooner rather than later that the shelter may not be have been man enough for the job, I would have been very disappointed if I had got half way through painting and then found it had collapsed.
The only consolation is that another boat across the yard had a similar shelter but made from steel scaffolding and thick canvass sheet, his cover had completely ripped and blown off.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.....plan B was to start thinking about stripping the grp roof lining in preparation for sanding and painting, before I started this I had a final clean up which is when I found TREASURE!......

My idea of treasure may differ from most peoples, but nonetheless I was extremely pleased with my finds, firstly was a fully serviceable spray-hood which covers the companion way.








Considering it had been laying around in the bottom of a dirty sail locker for some years it was surprisingly clean, all the press studs and fittings were in place and in good condition. 
The other bonus was that it was the easiest spray-hood I had ever put together! A nice piece of equipment which would have cost in excess of £300 to have made.



Underneath the spray-hood in the locker was also an 
Autohelm 2000 tiller pilot, for those of you not in the know this is an electronic device which basically steers the boat by using a main control unit fitted with a compass and a separate motorised unit which when connected to the tiller changes the course of the boat as required. 


I have not been able to test this yet as I still have not fitted any batteries to the boat, but if it does work it could possibly save me several hundred pounds on the cost of a new model.
So there you have it, maybe not to some, but most certainly treasure to me!

So back to progress, I spent Saturday removing light fittings, redundant plug sockets, stickers and plastic hooks.
If interested here is a video of me stripping....



A fairly easy task apart from removing the starboard side hand rail which didn't seem to want to move, although I always find hammer and screw driver often provides enough encouragement.
  


The plan is to start sanding the roof lining next weekend before painting it white, I am planning on using a single pack urethane paint which should provide a nice clean finish.




I will also need to do some work in the pilot berth as the lining stops short of the full width and has an exposed fibreglass finish which looks quite rough, not quite sure how I will tackle this but hopefully I will come up with a plan by next weekend.






Once this job is complete before painting I will start stripping all the wood work of any previous layers of wood stain, I am planning to use a stripping chemical as sanding could cause damage to the veneer underneath.
I have thought about varnish but more inclined to go with a hard wax oil such as Treatex, which I could also use on the floor boards if I decide to lose the carpet. 




No comments:

Post a Comment