Sunday, 28 February 2016

A final plan is formulated.....


I must admit to getting quite frustrated this week with the project, mainly due to the length of time it is taking due in part to only having one day a week to work on Hermione.
I decided to review the list of jobs, what has been done and whats left to do. I am now not sure if I am more frustrated!

FINAL PLAN
Sand cupboard doors and replace hinges.
Varnish Doors and other hardwood.
Sand and paint galley doors.
Reinstall saloon handrail.
Lay worktop veneer.
Prepare engine for removal and tag all
cables and pipework.
Remove and store engine.
Remove/replace/clean fuel tank.
Check/replace engine mounts.
Clean and paint engine bay.
Install new batteries and cables, VSR
and two way battery switching.
Install new switch panel.
Remove all existing bilge pumps, pipes
remove cockpit skin fitting and reroute
to transom and fit new pump and pipes.
Install and check replacement engine.
Clear all deck & Cockpit fittings.
Sand all surfaces, fill and fair.
Remove all hatches and seal.
Apply epoxy primer.
Apply two pack topcoat.
Repaint anti-slip areas.
Repair mast base and refit tabernacle.
Rebed windows & hatches and  replace
cracked port light.
Secure engine hatch.
Check gas locker and system.
Install cooker and door.
Heads redesign,pressurised water
system and calorifier.
Forward cabin refit.
Install 12v lighting circuit.
Sand and oil wood floor throughout.
Clean, etch prime and paint mast.
Renew mast wiring and fittings.
Step mast.

LAUNCH!

Yes it is quite a list but when I look at the complete list a fair amount has been completed.
Back to the saloon refurb, after much investigation I decided to go with Dulux diamond finish paint for the internal timber after finding that the cream paint I had was far too creamy.



This paint went on extremely well and I managed to get two coats on in one day, this is Dulux's toughest paint and suited to bathrooms and kitchens.








I have now started working on the cupboard doors and decided to work on them one at a time and refitting when completed. I decided to clean the piano hinges on each with a wire brush and then sand the fronts by hand with 200 grit sanding pads.







My plan is to varnish the doors once fitted by masking the bulk head and then open the doors by a few inches so they are not touching the painted surfaces.

The picture below give an idea of how the wood compares with the painted area, although the door has not been varnished yet.






I also decided to have a look at the engine to see if there was anything obvious that could cause a problem when removing, I was pleased to see that it all looks fairly straightforward.
There seems to be plenty of room and clearance so it should come out through the companionway with out too much trouble.



Obviously there will be work to do in-between removing and installing the replacement engine, mainly cleaning, painting and renewing engine insulation.



But the main job will be to remove and replace the fuel tank, I have identified some possible problems with this so if I am unable to remove it I will most likely fit an inspection hatch and clean as much as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment