Sunday, 6 March 2016

A replacement engine is finally found......


After thinking I had sourced a good replacement engine it turns out that it wasn't meant to be so I had to start looking again.

Eventually I found a good used 2003T which had just been taken out of a Halberg Rassey yacht at the end of February as part of a refit, this is identical to the engine already fitted to Hermione except it has a turbo and produces 43hp instead of 29hp!


After listening to the engine and speaking to the engineer who has been servicing it for the last few years I am happy that its the one for Hermione.



It will come with all ancillaries and gauges along with a new water strainer and exhaust.
Like many engines it has some common problems that need checking, so there are two jobs I plan on doing before the engine is fitted, one is to check the oil cooler which is pretty well hidden and often over looked by owners, if corroded and not working can result in catastrophic consequences! also gearbox splines need checking and possible retro fix on this model.



There are still a few bits in the saloon I need to finish before I can start playing with engines......but I cant wait!







4 comments:

  1. Nice engine but a bit overpowered imho. I think it might be a good idea to run it full throttle on a regular basis.

    Bert Jan Meinders
    CYOC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bert, would agree its more power than needed but I like a large stern wave :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Did you buy this from Marine Enterprises Ltd? If so, how was your experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very nearly did although this came up and was exactly what I needed. I have read lots of positive comments about Marine Enterprises and would definitely consider using them to source an engine if needed.

      Delete