Monday, 2 May 2016

Engine Bay and Fuel Tank work continues.....


Its been a while but have been busy in the engine bay, firstly I cleaned all of the dirt and debris, then got rid of all of the old fuel lines and old bilge pump hose.


Once that was complete I set about scrubbing as much of the grease and dirt as possible before wiping everything down with acetone and painting with International Danboline paint.


The next task was to remove the fuel tank as I had intended to fit a new replacement, the removal was not as difficult as I thought it would be and really only involved cutting through a timber that was holding it in place, and disconnecting the fuel lines etc.



After removing the tank I decided to see what the condition was really like, externally after a good scrub and clean it came up like new, although the real issue would what the condition was like inside.


I undid the fuel tap and as expected a whole load of black sticky gunge came out which is a sign that the bug had infected the tank.


Over a period of time I flushed the tank with various chemicals including petrol, acetone and white spirit, and then gave the inside a good blast using a pressure washer.


I am confident that the sludge has all gone now but to make sure when the tank is fitted I will use Marine 16 along with fresh diesel which will prevent as well as cure any bug in the tank.


The next job was to clean and paint out the locker that houses the tank, and again this was treated to some coats of danboline.




I had also ordered some parts and equipment that I knew were required prior to fitting the engine.


This included, new bilge pump hose, sea cocks, battery cables, switches and a host of other goodies.
I also managed to get new fuel lines made up at a local engineering shop to replace all of the old ones, although not cheap I think this will be worth doing in the long run.



Finally I made a new lid for the battery switch compartment out of marine ply before painting with a white cupboard and bilge paint.




This was another lesson in knowing where savings cant be made, I had bought this paint instead of danboline and wish I hadn't as it didn't cover very well and will need painting again next week!






5 comments:

  1. I cannot believe that is the same fuel tank. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know that the tank is divided into three areas? One recognizes the subdivisions at the rivets. This purification is possible quite difficult and only by shaking. I did it in the same way like you, but without the pressure washer, because with this you can only clean one third. Best, Lars (C33, MKII)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lars, yes the tank has baffles so not easy to get to it all with the pressure washer. Took along time, turning upside down and shaking it. Will now fill with diesel and a chemical treatment.

      Delete
  3. Nice blog.The research behind the fuel tank is wonderful.The deep research you did is effective and informative.

    Self bunded fuel tanks

    ReplyDelete