Sunday, 22 May 2016

Finally ready for the engine!




Its taken some time but Hermione is now ready to accept the replacement engine, there was quite a short list of work to do when I started this part of the project but as always one job turns into three or four!

I guess the hardest part was around the fuel system, this begun with the removal of the existing tank, cleaning and washing took the longest only because of access issues, but am pleased I persevered.

Before:


After:


Once the tank was in I set about fitting the new fuel lines and accessories, unbelievably there was no way of cutting the fuel off with the old system so I fitted a new tap which will enable this as well as giving the option to drain the tank if ever needed.


Then I fitted the new return pipe, as well as a new filter and connections





After this I turned me attentions to the electrical side of things, I had purchased new copper tinned battery cables, terminals, switches and a handy crimping tool for making the cables.


This device is extremely technical...it is spring loaded so it holds the cable and terminal in place while you wack it with a hammer!


After fitting some heatshrink tube you are left with a nice tight and smart terminal ready for connection.


Once I had measured and made up the cables the next job was to fit a battery switch. (I will be fitting two switches for each bank eventually along with a VSR)


This was fitted to a new hinged door as the original one fell apart (I another job not planned!)


I know the switch looks lonely on its own but soon it will be joined by more electrical gubbins.


It was now time to put a battery in place dedicated to the engine, remember that old saying? 'measure twice, cut once'....I have rephrased it.....
'dont bother measuring at all, then just wing it and hope for the best!'
Yes I had forgotten to measure the battery box, went to the local motor factors and lucky enough the one I chose just fitted!


The final job was to put together the sea water intake which will supply cooling water for the engine, as mentioned previously all the original skin fittings are fibreglassed in and have been technically tested for brittleness....this involved several good clumps with a hammer! I have only replaced one skin fitting and had to pretty much destroy the hull around it for removal!


First was a new dzr ball valve which will enable me to shut the water off which is essential when leaving the boat.


Lastly I fitted the intake and filter itself, this again is original and made from the same bronze as the skin fittings (also Neil's hammer resistance).

All thats left know is to get the man that can down to the yard to give everything the once over before finally fitting the replacement engine.



































1 comment:

  1. During the war, we had a technical tool, referred to as the FBH, which we used on our armoured vehicles. It is good to see you civies have adapted to our methodology.
    Just incase you don't know, FBH = F'ing Big Hammer

    ReplyDelete