Sunday, 2 April 2017

Heads Refurb hits a glitch



So as usual just when I think I am nearly completing a job something crops up that sets me back another day! This time it was a skin fitting that came loose. I was all set to complete the plumbing but whilst tightening a ball valve I applied possibly to much power to the spanner and subsequently the skin fitting started to turn. This might not normally be too much of an issue if it wasn't for the fact that it was one of the original fittings that had been fibre glassed into the hull.  


This meant considerable time chiselling the fibre glass away in order to get to the fitting so it could be removed, not to mention driving to Pirates Cave to purchase a replacement.


I eventually managed to remove most of the glass away from the fitting so I could access the nut, only to find this was welded to a 4" brass plate.



Cut a long story short, it was a complete nightmare to remove but with the help of several power tools it gave up the ghost.


Next job was to clean up the outside surface ready to accept a new skin fitting, this was the easy part with the help of the air sander.


The next stages you will know by now, loads of mastic, backing plate, finger tight until ready to tighten fully...blah blah blah.....





This took all morning to complete so was a bit peeved that I didn't get everything done that I had intended, although I still had a couple of hours left so I set to work on installing the sink.


I even had time to fit the new tap as well.



All in all it wasn't a complete wash out.....if you can forgive the pun.


No comments:

Post a Comment