I realise its been a while since the last update but unfortunately Hermione is not the only one who has been laid up in dock so to speak! As I am firing on all cylinders now I thought it time to play catchup with the blog.
One of the jobs that was on the list to do was to open up the mast step base and assess the timber that was glassed in as I had suspected it was rotting. I used the multi-tool to cut the top off the fibreglass and gel-coated base which revealed pretty much what I had suspected, a damp and rotten mast step base!
I then set about removing all of the wood with a hammer, chisel and small crow bar. I was then able me to get an accurate measurement in order to obtain a new piece of hardwood to replace it.