The work continues and I am starting to feel what painting the Forth Bridge was like! I have almost lost count of the times I have painted and sanded back these topsides in the pursuit of perfection.
Although not always through choice I might add. I was surprised to find on one coat that I had a faulty batch of paint where the hardener had been had been at fault. The paint was replaced without question but I still felt aggrieved as painting a whole boat and then having to sand it off is no mean feat.
A couple of emails later and International have stepped up to the mark, apologised for the problem and as a gesture of goodwill agreed to supply enough paint to anti-foul the hull with their brand new Micron 350 paint along with some Gelshield 200 which will save me in excess of £300!
Back to the job in hand, after several attempts I have given up the idea of rolling and tipping as I am finding it impossible to get all of the brush marks to flow out consistently despite trying a range of different methods and rollers as well as increasing the thinning agent to 20%. Partly my fault in not realising how dark
Since sanding back the faulty paint she has had two good coats of rolled on paint and is now waiting for the third and final coat which I am hoping to apply before the temperature drops too much, the problem is also finding a day where there is little or no wind as this can dry the paint too quickly
I arrived at the yard on Saturday in the hope I could finish with the last coat of blue but was not happy with the weather conditions as the wind was slightly stronger than I would have liked. Undeterred I spent some time lightly sanding any areas that needed it including a few runs that I found.
I then decided to paint the gunwales which I would normally have left until the topsides were complete, seeing as though I still had a few hours in the day I cracked on with the job.