Monday, 8 January 2018

On the home run.....


Now the painting has pretty much finished I took the decision to remove the sheet covering the boat, this was mainly due to the high winds which were making the scaffold frame move more than I would have liked, plus there were higher winds expected and the last thing I wanted was to find it had all collapsed and worse still, damaged the new paint work!

I am hoping that my plan for a spring launch is not over ambitious, so with that in mind I have compiled a priority list of jobs remaining and I am fairly confident I can get this completed by the end of April....famous last words?


I am still waiting for my new to me cooker to arrive from the west country, although I am confident that my  boat buddy will not let me down and will arrange its safe delivery sometime this month.

In anticipation of this I have reviewed the galley area and decided to change the work top and instead install a corian worktop which I managed to source from ebay for a very reasonable rate considering it could have cost a couple of hundred quid to order. Note to self........stop redoing jobs already completed!




I have also made a start on preparing the mast and spent a day disposing of the mostly rotten running rigging, as well as a close inspection of the standing rigging. Once removed I gave it all a good coat of TFR followed by a good blasting with the pressure washer which seemed to do a pretty good job.


I am still deciding what to do with the mast in terms of coverage, the paint appeared to be a 2 pack coating as it is exceptionally smooth, even though it was obviously painted by hand due to the splashes on the cleats etc. I tested a patch back in the summer by applying some 2 pack to an area which has taken with no issues at all. The options are either a light sanding and repaint, or a complete paint removal and application of a clear covering.....lets wait and see!


Moving on, I have picked up where I left off last spring working inside the boat.
Having already purchased battery switches, VSR and other bits I thought I should install the rest of the batteries and associated cabling. After trawling the internet and various forums it was suggested I follow the wiring diagram below which seems to give me everything I need.


First things first, I needed to secure the house batteries in place, as well as cutting a ventilation hole in order to allow any gases/heat to dissipate. 







Though more luck than judgement, the battery compartment is literally within millimetres of not being big enough to take the two house batteries. I would like to be able to say that I measured for the batteries before installing the compartment and therefore is exactly as planned.......



As usual all of this took longer than expected and was completed over two days, most of which was taken making battery cables. I counted 12 cable ends that needed crimping, heat shrinking etc and was amazed how long it actually takes.
If you are really bored, here is a video covering the technique I used to crimp battery terminal ends from start to finish!



Once all the cables were completed I managed to get the house battery bank isolator switch installed, as well as the voltage sensing relay which will distribute charge to the battery banks as required, this will come from either the engine alternator or a 240 volt charger depending on situation.






The blank plate is where I will fit an additional switch once it arrives, this will enable me to connect the two battery banks together in the event of the engine battery failing and provide an emergency start function.

Looking forward to crossing some more jobs off the list and really excited at the thought of  getting Hermione in the water this year!



No comments:

Post a Comment